Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tell it Tuesdays: Sonny McLean's | Santa Monica

Restaurant:  Sonny McLean's | Santa Monica 
Location: 2615 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90403
310.449.1811

Interior Swag: Most Irish pubs have so much natural charm that streaming flimsy plastic four-leaf clovers across the room in a hundred directions isn't necessary. That free flair from the beer and liquor companies is only acceptable for supermarkets and airport bars. I'm hoping Sonny hung it up only for the St. Patty's Day rookies who otherwise may not be able to identify an Irish pub from a hole in the wall if there was a Leprechaun dancing out in front.

Service: Love a bartender who knows her beers. I couldn't stay too long and she took care of my order and bill quickly.

Food & Drink: Similar to the Mexican food I've had in Canada and the Chinese cuisine I've eaten in Mexico, a fantastic Irish pub meal in Los Angeles is yet to be found (let me know if you've discovered one). This afternoon I opted to skip the food and count my beer as the afternoon snack. But the beer was perfect. I asked for the darkest beer they had and she poured me a 16 ounce glass of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. It was heavenly.

Go-Back-Again-Ness: Let's just say I'm still on a quest to find that perfect Irish pub...in Los Angeles.


No comments:

Post a Comment